Aubrey Allen Butchers in Leamington Spa has picked up multiple honours in the Q Guild of Butchers 2020 Smithfield ‘Star’ Awards.
Scooping an eight-strong awards windfall, including a brace of top-ranked 3*** accolade, one of which also shortlisted as a Kitchen-Ready category finalist for a ‘best of the best’ Diamond award.
The category finalist was:
- Slow Cooked Ox Cheeks and Spiced Red Cabbage with creamy mash
Described by butchery manager Simon Kelly as “a lovely Winter warmer dish of slow-cooked Herefordshire-certified Ox cheeks in a stock of red wine; orange and thyme; which is later reduced to make the sauce for the Ox cheeks. This is complemented with a slow cooked spiced red cabbage and creamy mash potato.”
Judges were mightily impressed, describing it as “very appealing to look at, smells fantastic – the meat just melted in the mouth – superb flavours, a great product.”
The other 3*** product was:
- Dry Cured Smoked Bacon Cutlet on the Bone, which is cured Free Range Blythburgh Pork from the rack end of the loin for a flavoursome taste on the bone.”
A further five 2** were awarded for:
- Rump Cap Mini Roast with Chestnut Mushroom. Spinach and Black Truffle
- Steak and Mushroom Pie
- Red Leicester Melt Sausage
- Veal Tenderloin with Thyme and Brandy Butter Stuffing wrapped in Pancetta
- Duo of Ham Hock and Montgomery Cheese Pie
- 1* with Traditional Thick Pork Sausage
Mr Kelly said: “Naturally, we’re over the moon to be shortlisted for a category-leading Diamond awards in the face of such strong competition from our fellow butchers nationwide. While we didn’t strike Diamond this year we came very close and the positive comments made by judges will hopefully help us to progress to bigger and better things next year.”
The Dry Cured Smoked Bacon Chop and Traditional Thick Pork Sausage are available in the shop. The slow cooked Ox Cheek ready meal should be available on the delicatessen next week.