What you’ll need:
2kg blade of beef
2 sticks of celery
3 white onions
4 cloves of garlic
2 bay leaves
sprig of thyme
1 litre beef stock
A step-by-step guide
- Remove the beef from the fridge 20 – 30 minutes before cooking to bring to roomtemperature
- ·Pre heat oven to 160°C / 320°F
- ·On the hob, heat a lidded casserole dish to a medium heat (make sure the dish is large enough for the blade)
- ·Season the blade with sea salt, remove the lid from the dish, and place the blade into the dish. Add a little oil and brown the beef on all sides.
- ·Add a knob of butter, then the roughly chopped onions/carrots/celery, and the garlic, bay leaf and thyme.
- ·Brown for a couple of minutes, then add the beef stock and the red wine. Bring gently to the boil
- ·Replace the lid and put the dish in the oven for 3 ½ hours.
- ·Once the cooking time is up, remove the dish (keep the lid on) and stand for 1 hour.
- ·After the resting time, remove the beef from the pan and keep warm (either on a plate covered in tin foil, or in a very low oven)
- ·Place the dish onto the hob and bring to the boil to reduce and thicken the cooking liquor– you can add thickening agent at this point if you wish.
- ·Slice the beef, and serve with the vegetables.