Russell Allen takes us through his tips for cooking your fillet steak from Aubrey Allen. “I’m just going to share with you today how to cook fillet steak.”
A step-by-step guide
- Defrost your fillet steaks slowly and thoroughly in the fridge and then remove them from the fridge about 30 minutes before cooking to bring them up to room temperature.
- Get your frying pan hot by keeping it on a medium heat on the hob for around 5-6 minutes.
- When the pan is hot add a splash of olive oil.
- Season the fillet steaks liberally on both sides with a good quality sea salt, am using Cornish sea salt here.
- Place the fillet steaks in the pan and leave for two minutes – don’t be tempted to turn or check them.
- After the two minutes check to see if the cooked side has nicely browned then turn over and cook for a further two minutes.
- Once the two minutes are up, brown all of the edges of the steak.
- Add a tablespoon of butter and once melted baste the fillet steaks.
- Remove the pan from the heat and turn the steaks in the butter a couple of times and baste again.
- Place the steaks on a pre-warmed plate for at least five minutes to rest.
- Serve and enjoy!